Monday 18 January 2016

MY DVD COLLECTION 9

Steven Spielberg (b. 1946)

Steven Spielberg needs no introduction. He started as a young film fan and has become a one man film industry. Hugely influential he has ventured into every area of film and television production. Of his own work as a director he said "My movies are all different. I've tried to make every movie as if it was made by a different director, because I'm very conscious of not wanting to impose a consistent style on subject matter that is not necessarily suited to that style. So I try to re-invent my own eye every time I tackle a new subject. But it's hard, because everybody has style. You can't help it. It just comes off you like pollen. I mean, if you're a bee, you're a bee, but at the same time I try very hard to work a little out of the box every time I make a choice. And I had to go back to a box that I had helped invent in the 1980s to accomplish the task of bringing Indiana Jones back to life in the 21st century. We went right back to the blazing Technicolor style of the first three instalments. For MUNICH (2005), I certainly tried to bring an early-70s Hollywood style, a cinéma-vérité style, with zoom-lenses, and a lot of the tools that were used to make movies in the 70s, one of my favourites being THE DAY OF THE JACKAL (1973), the Fred Zinnemann film. Films directed by Steven Spielberg in my collection are : THE NIGHT GALLERY (1969) COLUMBO : MURDER BY THE BOOK (1971) DUEL (1971) JAWS (1975) CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977) RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981) INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (1984) INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (1989) JURASSIC PARK (1993) LOST WORD: JURASSIC PARK (1997) AMISTAD (1997) SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (1998) A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (2001) MINORITY REPORT (2002) WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) MUNICH (2005) INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (2008) LINCOLN (2012). Films produced by Steven Spielberg in my collection : ARACHOPHOBIA (1990) CAPE FEAR (1991) THE MASK OF ZORRO (1998) THE HAUNTING (1999) JURASSIC PARK III (2001) FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS (2006) LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA (2006) TRUE GRIT (2010) JURASSIC WORLD (2015)

1 comment:

Cerpts said...

I'm not a Spielberg completest and I have seen several of his films that I don't own.

The Spielberg films in my OWN DVD collection: NIGHT GALLERY, DUEL, JAWS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL, INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM, INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, JURASSIC PARK.

Seen but don't own are: 1941, TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE, THE COLOR PURPLE, ALWAYS, HOOK, SCHINDLER'S LIST, THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK, AMISTAD, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and LINCOLN.