Monday 3 August 2009

THE GLASS TEAT - A RARE EXCURSION INTO THE WORLD OF TELEVISION.

I don't watch broadcast television - my TV set is not even connected to an aerial. However I have been adding ome of my favourite shows from the past to my DVD collection. Among these was the complete five season run of ALLY McBEAL, a series I adored first time around and have enjoyed even more this time. It's very funny , occasionally very poignant and moving, It had great guest stars, especially of the musical variety, quite brilliant acting and writing (it is often not appreciated that creator David E.Kelley wrote every episode - which very much kept it on track) and a seemingly endless parade of hot women. It was only by accident that I discovered that the series BOSTON LEGAL was also by David E. Kelley. Before buying it I decided to check it out. I was able to do this thanks to my dear friend Fiona who won't mind me describing her as a rabid William Shatner fan. To be honest I was a bit disappointed in the first episode. It was good but I felt it was nothing special. However it took off with episode two and by the end of the first series I was totally hooked. This is writing for television of a very high order with acting to match. Bill Shatner, James Spader, Candice Bergen, Rene Auberjonois and the rest of the cast bring the characters to life. Like all great TV shows BOSTON LEGAL has a endless supply of memorable scenes (the climatic scene of season 1 which features an execution will stay with me for a long time) and great dialogue. Already I am getting the urge to walk up to strangers and simply say "Denny Crane"....but that probaby means there is some thing wrong with me. The series also poses within the episodes some interesting ethical and moral questions. Highly recommended.

No comments: