Friday 14 August 2009

ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1999)

The first twenty minutes or so of the made-for-tv version of Lewis Carroll's books (bits of the sequel are included) really annoyed me for some reason but I'm glad I stuck with it as once Martin Short and Francis Wright appear as the demented Mad Hatter and rather scarey March Hare it becomes quite memorable. Short (hardly a favourite of mine) almost steals the film. I say almost because its a close run thing between him a Miranda Richardson who, as the Queen of Hearts, gives a sinister variation on her Queen Elizabeth I in BLACK ADDER II. It's not quite Carroll but it gets close on occasions and there is a memorable cast. Be interesting to see what Tim Burton will do with the subject. If you haven't already, read the book. Rating ***

No comments: