Wednesday 24 March 2010

ROBERT CULP DIES...

Robert Culp was a fine actor and a television great. The chemistry between Culp and his co-star Bill Cosby made the series I SPY one of the most watchable shows of the Sixties. This was carried over into Culp's one film as a director, HICKEY AND BOGGS, a subversively offbeat tale of two down at heel private eyes - one gay and one black - who find themselves woefully out of their depth and out-gunned. Culp took the television personas that he and Cosby had developed on television and used them as a springboard for this excellent movie.

ROBERT CULP
1930 - 2010
R.I.P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cerpts said...

And what could be better than Robert Culp as an occult investigator in Gene Roddenberry's SPECTRE co-starring Gig Young as his own Dr. Watson!

Weaverman said...

I had a girlfriend who used to say that Culp looked as though he had the worries of the world on his shoulders. I understood what she meant and felt that if stress was an Olympic sport he could have worried for America. I was reminded of this recently while watching his two stints as guest murderer on COLUMBO.

I am also reminded of his offbeat portrayal of a rather offbeat gunfighter in Burt Kennedy's much maligned but, I feel, very under-rated HANNIE CAULDER which was a sort of precursor to THE QUICK AND THE DEAD.

Cerpts said...

You know I really do believe that I've never seen a single episode of I SPY in my life. I've always wanted to but apparently it either was never rerun when I was a kid or it was on at the same time as something else I watched. Either way, I do believe it's time to netflix some episodes.