Thursday 1 January 2009

Old Year, New Year

My obsession for 2009 : MAMMA MIA's Christine Baranski

Well, it's a New Year, and a time to look forward rather than back. But I'm going to pause for a moment to with all my fellow bloggers - Cerpts, Mild Colonial Boy, Terry Frost, Dave and Aaron all a great New Year and assure them I continue to read them regularly despite a certain amount of inactivity in the FLEAPIT during the last few months. I don't intend to do a full review of the year's movies but I have had a pretty exciting year catching up with lots of the classic (and not so classic) movies of the past. I've not been tempted by new films much during 2008 although I was very impressed by THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD and I join with lots of others in applauding the genuine feelgood factor of the Abba musical MAMMA MIA! Among my other new favourites of the year were THERE WILL BE BLOOD and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. I also caught up with two other musicals - THE PRODUCERS and HAIRSPRAY both of which I enjoyed. Thanks to my friends Cerpts and Terry Frost I've been able to view (and review) lots of difficult to find films - low budget horrors, comedies. The inter-blog discussions and e-mails have been particularly useful and one of the major things to come out of this is my renewed acquaintance with Antonioni's great trilogy. There have been lots of Begmans and Kurosawas to enjoy, restorations of Fritz Lang and Murnau. If 2009 offers such variety I'll be happy.

3 comments:

Aaron White said...

2008 was an interesting year to say the least. The film variety was; however, was great. I'd also like to wish you a happy new year, and hope that the film variety is as varied and wonderful as 2008. I'm glad that you saw and enjoyed three of the best movies made in the last decade too. Again, have a happy new year, I hope its a good one.

Terry Talks Movies said...

Same wishes back atcha, too. Yeah, 2008 has been an interesting year in movies, less so personally for me, but the podcast is going gangbusters and thanks for your support with it. Busy at the moment researching Robert Aldrich for the next one. Take care. Terry

Cerpts said...

I also wish you (and everyone else) a much much MUCH happier new year and echo your hope that it's filled with tons of movies for us to enjoy.