Tuesday 6 June 2017

LES RIVIERES POURPRES/Crimson Rivers (2000) Directed by Mathieu Kassovitz.


This one, I found in a charity shop. For some reason this seems to have slipped under my radar until now. I love French thrillers and this one has a lot going for it: unfamiliar locations in the French Pyrenees, very gruesome and, above all, two top charismatic French actors sparring of each other, Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel. It is, perhaps, not the greatest plot, with the twist being signalled long in advance but the two stars make the whole thing enjoyable enough (just as Morgan Freeman was able to carry the also not very original ALONG CAME A SPIDER which I watched the same day). I enjoyed it enough to look forward to catching up with THE CRIMSON RIVERS 2 : ANGELS OF THE APOCALYPSE, although, Cassel is not around for that one. It does, however,  have the late Christopher Lee. Good for a rainy day. Rating ***

No comments: