Thursday 12 May 2011

SARABAND FOR DEAD LOVERS (1948)

Flora Robson and Stewart Granger


Highly romanticised version of the scandal that surrounded the ancestors of our present Royal Family. The film tells the story of the affair between Sophie (Joan Greenwood), wife of the future George I and the dashing Philip von Konigsmark (Stewart Granger) who are presented here a star-crossed lovers and more sympathetic than they probably deserve - but, as I said in my RED BARON review, historical accuracy does not necessarily make for an entertaining film - although I understand that the film gets the political side of things fairly accurate. I find it interesting that mystery of sorts surrounds the deaths of the central characters of this and the two previous films reviewed here - Stavisky, Richtofen and Kongismark - the later officially went missing although it is generally assumed (certainly by this film) that he was murdered. Turning to the film rather than history, this Ealing Studios film is very impressive with a fine literate script and superb colour photography by Douglas Slocombe. Direction is by Basil Dearden (born about a mile from where I sit writing this) and besides the two lead players the court intrigues are wonderfully played out by Flora Robson, Peter Bull, Francoise Rosay, Michael Gough and Anthony Quayle. Eagle eyed fans will also spot Miles Malleson, Guy Rolfe and Anthony Steel. They won't however spot Christopher Lee whose performance was removed from the completed film. Rating ****

3 comments:

Cerpts said...

Whattaya wanna bother with a buncha Germans for?!?!?

But seriously, ladies and germs...

Big fan of Basil Dearden. Remarkably good cast. Historical subject. Sounds like my cup of tea!

Weaverman said...

I wonder about the in-bred Germans myself. David Thomson doesn't rate Dearden but I think that for the most part he made interesting and entertaining films...and, of course, he was a Westcliff boy!

Cerpts said...

A Westcliffy?!?! Really?!?!? I'd forgotten if I'd ever known! Well that's that, then! Wouldn't be the first time we've disagreed with Mr. Thomson. Sometimes he can be a cranky pants but still interesting to read. Tell Mr. Thomson, as far as Dearden is concerned, to lighten up. It's not like we're trying to make him watch FORREST GUMP or anything, is it?!?!